Tuesday 23 June 2015

Filling the trench

With the two ends of the trench shuttered to form buttresses to stabilise the existing foundations, we were ready for the remaining 3 cubic metres of concrete to be delivered.

It should only take half an hour to unload that amount - even by barrow as the truck can't get close enough to the back of the house.

First though pegs were needed to mark the level along the trench.  As they are not supporting anything I have deliberately not put them in too far so I can remove them easily when we have the level - well, that's the theory anyway.

I placed them about 1m apart so my long (120cm) level could sit on two. Then I laid a string across the top from one end to the other and it just touched the top of each of the intermediate posts.  

The concrete will cost £360 and be delivered at 3:30 on Thursday so I have lined up some willing volunteers to help with the lugging.

My question to the concrete company was, "What happens if it rains?"  "You get wet." was the reply - apparently concrete 'goes off' better in water than in the dry.  I thought we'd have to postpone or cancel, but they were confident that we would be able to go ahead whatever.



No comments:

Post a Comment