Thursday 22 October 2015

It's a Steel

As the summer holiday ends and term starts there are only a couple of days' block laying left to do before I need to install the structural steelwork,

The combination of the architect's plans and the structural engineer's specifications are sufficient to obtain quotes from steel suppliers around Norwich. As this is an area in which I have no experience I could easily be taken for a ride in terms of price.  I mean, how much is a 6 metre steel lintel?  So I compiled a precis of the specifications and sent it by email to 4 companies to see how close their quotes would be.

Having spoken to one company I was reassured that the quote would be for an approximate length, but they would obviously require accurate measurements for the production.

Three pieces are required:  A lintel that runs almost the entire width of the extension above both the bifold doors and the kitchen window; a ridge beam that comes out from the house to the centre of the back wall, supported by the third piece, a 1.5m post.  All need drilling, welding plates attached and painting - so it's a bit more than just supplying three bits of metal!

I measured both pieces umpteen times before I committed to buy - knowing I can't easily change it once it is welded.  I got 3 quotes and Standley Steel of Wymondham were not only the most competitive, but were genuinely helpful people.

The main lintel over window and doors is 6m long and weighs around 250kg - a quarter of a ton.  it will need lifting 2.1m to put it in place.  The ridge beam, 4.5m long and only about 110kg needs to go another 1.2m above that.  I have a hand-operated crane on order for half term.  

Moving the lintel into the right position for the crane required some ingenuity, planks and rollers, and a car trolley jack.


I cut the hole in the back wall of the house for the ridge beam to sit in and checked it is the right size and depth.


So with the walls ready, the slab floor painted with two coats of bitumen damp proofing, the steel in place and the crane coming on Monday, all we can do now is go to Sheffield to see Ali for the weekend!













No comments:

Post a Comment