Sunday 1 November 2015

Happy ever rafter

The rafters are 8" x 2" timbers, nominally 14' long (200mm x 50mm x 4200mm) which needed cutting to length and notching at each end to fit over the ridge beam and onto the wall plates.  I cut a piece of timber that had been nailed to the back wall of the house as the wall plate for the old conservatory to make the ridge plate on top of the steel ridge beam.  It needed cutting down from 6" to 4" but was clean and in good condition so it seemed a waste not to use it.


Each rafter needed to be mitred at the end to the 20 degree pitch and then notched to fit the exact distance between the ridge plate and the wall plate.  I started by using my mitre saw, but moving the rafters into position for each cut was difficult without having roller stands to slide them along, so I resorted to clamping them to a pair of trestles and using my old circular saw - which coped well with the 2" depth of cut.  I did have to finish each cut off with a hand saw so that the circular blade didn't over cut any of the lines and weaken the timbers.

At each of the gaps for the velux windows I needed to double the rafters to ensure sufficient strength to support the windows.  The wooden ridge plate and the two wall plates overhang the end wall of the extension so I can build in a 6" soffit overhang above the triangular gable end windows.

These pictures only show the rafters laid on the plates, not adjusted for position or trimmed to ensure they are straight, parallel or at right angles to the walls - all this will come later.

It is interesting to note how much more of a feel for the actual size of the finished room it is possible to get now there is a roof structure.  What would be useful at this point would be a second scaffold tower and/or some wheels for this one as it is difficult to drag and I will need to move it all over the extension to be able to get to every part of the roof structure.  I suppose if I can get a second one I could easily sell it afterwards...



1 comment:

  1. Hi David, Thanks for your mention of the BrickyTool in your blog. We have an Affiliate Program on our site. If you create an account and place referral links on your site you can earn 15% commission on all orders. For more information see http://bricky.com/affiliate-area/
    Rgds,
    Noel

    ReplyDelete