Saturday 21 November 2015

Mid November update

A couple of things have moved on:

The wall plate I bolted to the parapet wall adjoining Jean's house was only a 4" x 2" timber held by half a dozen sleeve anchors and when I thought about it I decided that I needed something more substantial.  So I removed all the rafters and unbolted the wall-plate.  I cut a couple of lengths of 8" x 2" down to 6" x 2" and drilled it with about 20 bolts.

Once it was on I re-fitted the rafters using galvanised truss clips to locate and secure them.  The rafters are nailed to the ridge plate and spaced equally from the centre point with correct gaps for the 4 velux windows.  Now I need to cut a whole shed-load of noggins to keep the rafters straight and stop them from twisting.

The outside gable end of the extension needs some work to fit the fascia and soffit so I can build the box gulley and lay the roof membrane and battens.  Unfortunately i can't get scaffolding to that end because that is where all the sand/soil/rubble is piled up.  So the next job is to get a skip and clear the space outside the back wall for the scaffold.  The largest I could order to fill with building rubble is 8yd.  I don't think it will be big enough for all the waste, but at least it will clear enough space for the scaffold to move into position and get the roof moved on another stage.

I'm not keen on the short, dark evenings and cold, wet and windy weekends for working on the extension.  I think the chances of getting the roof covered by Christmas are getting slim.

No comments:

Post a Comment