Tuesday 26 May 2015

Demolition Day 3

It takes much longer when half the time is spent clearing up all the debris so you can carry on.  I really don't want to pay for a skip before I'm ready, so storing all the bricks and other rubble is important.  So with the glass gone and the wood burned I need to sort the usable from the rubbish as I go. I think a trip to the dump in the morning to get rid of the doors and other bits and pieces may be in order.



With the roof off, the party walls came down today.Many of the commons will be reusable, though the smaller bricks were just too brittle to salvage.  I heard though that there is a real shortage of bricks in the country and someone told me that she was going to have to wait 40 weeks to get enough to build her new house.  Glad we're using concrete blocks.  I wonder if they'll become scarce if people start switching to them when bricks are hard to come by.





Once the party walls were down and clear, I started on the old utility room - increasingly aware that I will need to disconnect and cap the washing-machine water supply before I can remove the back wall.  I am also aware that the existing wall alongside the drive, that I am hoping to retain, only has a 2" cavity and is not insulated.  I fear i will ultimately need to remove it and start all over again.  This will probably mean digging up the existing foundations and laying new ones.  I suppose if I want to do it right I ought to start well.  The door to the utility room seems to have a large, concrete lintel over it - for no good reason - I reckon it must weigh 30kg at least.  I am not looking forward to catching it!

No comments:

Post a Comment